Thursday, July 21, 2005

Let's Talk about Physical Therapy

Recovered somewhat from yesterday's pain and went for a scheduled appointment with the Physical Therapist. When I mentioned my bout with pain, I was told that I should call in such cases and more than likely could have come in to see if treatment might help. I will certainly consider that in the future.

I don't think I've described this therapy, other than its positive effect on me during my first few visits. By name it is called CranialSacral Therapy and is defined by the International Alliance of Healthcare Educators as:

CST is a gentle, hands-on method of evaluating and enhancing the functioning of a physiological body system called the craniosacral system - comprised of the membranes and cerebrospinal fluid that surround and protect the brain and spinal cord.

Using a soft touch generally no greater than 5 grams, or about the weight of a nickel, practitioners release restrictions in the craniosacral system to improve the functioning of the central nervous system.

By complementing the body's natural healing processes, CST is increasingly used as a preventive health measure for its ability to bolster resistance to disease, and is effective for a wide range of medical problems associated with pain and dysfunction, including:

  • Migraine Headaches
  • Chronic Neck and Back Pain
  • Motor-Coordination Impairments
  • Colic
  • Autism
  • Central Nervous System Disorders
  • Orthopedic Problems
  • Traumatic Brain and Spinal Cord Injuries
  • Scoliosis
  • Infantile Disorders
  • Learning Disabilities
  • Chronic Fatigue
  • Emotional Difficulties
  • Stress and Tension-Related Problems
  • Fibromyalgia and other Connective-Tissue Disorders
  • Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ)
  • Neurovascular or Immune Disorders
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
  • Post-Surgical Dysfunction
Quite a pageful I guess, but the only prior treatments of any kind (physical or chemical) that have had any effect on my pain have been acupuncture, chiropractic, and now CranialSacral Therapy. Most prescription pain killers actually caused increased pain and vomiting and I'm now suspicious of anything codeine based and especially generic versions of things like Vicodin. It is quite frightening to take a "strong" pain killer while feeling disabled by pain and within an hour - feeling much worse with vomiting and moaning and thrashing around the floor trying to get away from my own pain. But I digress...

The Therapist and I discussed my past experience with Acupuncture and how often it can be complementary to this CST treatment. I had been treated with Traditional Chinese Medicine and my Therapist suggested that I might want to try Five Element Acupuncture. We will probably pursue this if a likely good practitioner is found.

Due to vacation, the Therapist will be off next week and I am hoping to get through any Excedrin withdrawal and rebound issues before my next visit. We've also agreed to schedule three (3) days in a row of sessions, to see if I can extend and maintain the good "clear" feelings I've had after each session so far.

I'm nervous about the next week, but still a bit optimistic as I'm learning more about the things going on inside me.

Good Night and Have a PAINFREE Life,

- Frank

Reference Links:
CranialSacral Therapy - The full page that I excerpted above
CranialSacral Therapy - Another description
Five Element Acupuncture - A brief description
Acupuncture - Short definition
Acupuncture - Longer definition



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

____________________________________________________________________________