Tuesday, July 19, 2005

I'm a Healthy Person with Headaches!

Had a morning appointment with the Neurologist today and was quite amused, as we walked to the appointment desk after my visit, to find him reciting the appropriate lines from the Dry Bones (or Skeleton Bones) song.  You probably know the one I mean - here are a few lines:
Oh those bones, oh those bones,
oh those skeleton bones....

... and the
back bone connected
to the neck bone,
and the neck bone connected
to the head bone,
Oh mercy how they scare!

We both laughed at the realization that the neck bone "really" is connected to the head bone, etc.

Anyway, during the visit we discussed my physical therapy and I mentioned that it was interesting to learn about the interaction of the various parts of my body, even if there has been no immediate headache relief.   I mentioned that I had started to reduce the frequency of taking Excedrin Extra Strength and asked if the Calcium Channel Blockers would offset any possible rebound headaches.  As I probably expected, the answer was "No!"   The Doctor explained that the blocker prescription was primarily an attempt to cutoff the triggering of my recurring headaches, and that I would have to wean myself from the Excedrin before we can really evaluate other treatments and their effects.   He was pleased that I had started to cut back and prescribed Prednisone as a possible aid in dealing with (or reducing) withdrawal headache pain.   These pills are to be taken over an eight (8) day period in declining dosages.

I asked about the need for a full spine MRI or X-ray and the Doctor explained that he would normally only request that if we were planning surgery.  He said my symptoms and overall general good health, really did NOT indicate a need for the MRI or surgery.  He did say that he would be glad to order one for me, if I felt that I wanted to have one done.  We sort of left the option open for the future, but based on his explanation I saw no need to do so now.

The Doctor also performed various coordination and reflex tests and checked blood pressure and pulse as well as my eyes for any symptoms of trouble.   Moving my finger tip from his finger to my nose, walking a straight line, various reaching and "hammer" reflex checks all indicated my normal condition.   I guess he sensed my probable frustration that there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with me, because he then smiled gently and stated: "
You're a healthy person with headaches."     I may need to print and post that reminder of how relatively fortunate I am, compared to the large possible range of much worse maladies and afflictions I could have.

On the way home I picked up my prescription and will start it tomorrow.  My head and neck have been throbbing and getting worse all day.  At around 1 PM I took what may be my last Extra Strength Excedrin for a while, turned on the Air Conditioning and started writing this note.   I'm already feeling a bit better, but recognize the futility of the whole Excedrin cycle.

Have a PAINFREE Day,

 - Frank

Reference Links:
Skeleton Bones - Words of this ditty
Prednisone - Medline Plus info page



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

____________________________________________________________________________