Monday, August 08, 2005

Very frustrating

I guess I must acknowledge once again that there seems to be a direct tie between physical exercise and my headaches.  

After my Friday posting, I walked half of my normal treadmill distance, just 1.5 miles.  Within a few hours my neck and head were starting to bother me and my lower back was aching.  I tried ignoring the pains and at 11:45 PM took two Extra Strength Doan's caplets and went to bed.   I slept reasonably well and awoke at 5:00 AM feeling the cracked skull type of pain that usually portends a bad headache.   After pacing, deep breathing, and sitting in my comfortable office chair for a while, I decided that since I was to attend a day long family reunion barbecue, that I'd take a preemptive dose of two (2) Excedrin Extra Strength tablets at 7 AM.  

By 8:00 AM I felt much better and had a fun day with family.  Temperatures hovered right around 100 degrees F for most of the picnic time.  I had mild head pain, but just kept washing my face and neck with ice water and that seemed to work for the duration. 

Fell asleep on the couch Saturday evening, feeling pretty well exhausted from the day of heat.  Mild head and back pain persisted.   At a little past midnight I took two (2) Extra Strength Doan's caplets and went to sleep.  Fitful night of sleep, with either head or back pain waking me repeatedly. 

The pain persisted on Sunday and I tried rubbing, hair-pulling, and various skull "tweaks" with no success.  Decided to try the treadmill again and did another "half" workout of 1.5 miles.  That apparently was a big mistake.   Within another hour, my head was much worse (6 or 7 on a 1 to 10 scale) and I ended up in wall banger mode for quite a long time.   At 4:45 PM I took two Diphedryl tablets, hoping they would cause me to sleep a bit.   I kind of lost track after that, but went through varying stages of head pain, back pain, fitful sleep until around 2 AM.  At that time I took my daily dose of one (1) Verapamil and tried sleeping for a few hours.  At 6 AM, I awoke with the same strong head pain and decided to take two (2) more Excedrin Extra Strength tablets.

Felt very weak, exhausted for most of Monday, but at least had managed to break the head pain.  My back bothered me some, but wearing a lifting belt, seemed to lessen that pain.

It is now about 5:30 PM Monday.   I don't think I'll bother with any treadmill experiments today.  :-(

Will discuss this with the Physical Therapist, it seems that I need a better plan!

Have PAINFREE Life,

 - Frank

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

____________________________________________________________________________