Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Rather Depressing

I must try, really try, NOT to be to optimistic. 

Seems that I screwed up in dealing with my Physical Therapy expectations.

Last night I took two (2) Extra Strength Doan's tablets before going to bed at 11:45 PM.  I actually slept pretty well after a few really short nights of sleep and awoke at 5:15 AM today.  

I felt mildly head achy (maybe a 2 on a 1 to 10 scale), but was looking forward to some time on the treadmill before heading out for my afternoon Physical Therapy session.  I guess this is where I made my mistake.  I had myself pretty well convinced that whatever condition I was in, the therapist would "make me better", as has been the case with my few recent sessions.

My head pain worsened ( ranging 2-5 on the 10 scale), but I tried to ignore it and at 11 AM started my 3 mile treadmill walk.   I actually felt pretty good while walking, or maybe just distracted as I put the television on and watch recorded shows while walking.   After walking I turned on the house Air Conditioning and had a sandwich, yogurt, pretzels, and Diet-Rite Cola for lunch.  After lunch I took a shower and a few minutes later, left the house.

Today's comic relief came as I walked out to the car and "tried" to get into the driver's seat.  As I bent my leg to step into the car, my right calf muscle cramped up.  As I tried to stand back up, my left foot cramped, and it took all of my self-control to avoid falling on the ground.  I hobbled into the still open garage and leaned for a moment and stretched and bent my leg muscles a bit.

My Bride is always reminding me to warm up before, and stretch after, exercise. 
Someday, I just might start remembering to do so. 


I went back to the car and slid the driver's seat all the way back.  I backed in, sitting down first, then swinging my legs in.  Once "in place" all seemed okay and off I went.

Reviewed the past week or so with therapist and then had a normal session.  While it felt good during the session, I was somewhat startled or disappointed when it was over, to notice that my head pain persisted.  

Oh No-o-o-o-o!   I was so cocky and sure just a few hours ago, and now I was walking back outside with my head still throbbing.   I drove home, not sure what to I would do next.  And here I sit typing this, still wondering what I will do next.  Sigh-h-h-h-h! 

This really is quite depressing.  I know, I know!   I keep telling myself that things could be much worse, but I guess a part of me keeps thinking they could also be a little bit better.

I'm scheduled for therapy again tomorrow and Friday, but not really looking forward to just waiting around with the head pain in the interim.   I'm down to just one (1) Verapamil tablet daily and not convinced those are having any effect.  And I am weeks away from the next discussion of other possible medications with my Neurologist.

Time is starting to slow down and these could be some very long days.  Then again, maybe a bolt of lightning will strike and imbue me with super powers (or at least knock out my headaches).  That is one of the bright sides of knowing so little about these attacks,  I can use my imagination to work out a solution - Who could possibly question my theories?   :-)

So that is the situation at around 4 PM Thursday.   Hope to have some surprise happy ending for at least this chapter, if not the whole story when next we meet.

Have a PAINFREE Life,

  - Frank

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

____________________________________________________________________________