Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Effexor XR

Well, my physical therapy ended up having the same effect as chiropractic did. It seemed to influence my pain, but unpredictably. At times it seemed to relieve or eliminate both back and head pain. At other times it seemed to trigger or irritate both back and head pain. And on a few occasions it seemed to have no effect whatsoever. Sigh!

VERY FRUSTRATING!

I stopped my daily dosage of Verapamil a week ago. I stopped the physical therapy at the same time, but have used the treadmill a few times. Headaches and back pain have been erratic and I've been using Extra Strength Excedrin and Extra Strength Doan's to get by.

Today I had an appointment with the Neurologist and we discussed the past few months of therapy and drugs. Everything has been inconclusive and I mentioned reading on WebMD about the effects of depression on head and back pain. We decided to give anti-depressants a trial. The Doctor suggested Effexor XR based on his knowledge of side effects and effectiveness in other patients.

The warnings and possible side effects are quite alarming as with most drugs. I think the Fact Sheets have been too much influenced by lawyers to have any actual medical value. I decided to give the Effexor XR a try. The plan is to start with a half dosage (37.5 mg) capsule for a week and then up to normal (75 mg) daily dosage. The XR in the name stands for eXtended Release and will allow me to take one pill daily, rather than three separate doses.

I'm somewhat nervous, but trying to be hopeful.

Time will tell!

Have a PAINFREE Life,

- Frank

Reference Links:
Effexor XR - Effexor Manufacturer's Information
Effexor FAQ - Also from Manufacturer
FDA Effexor Info - Food and Drug Administration Info

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

____________________________________________________________________________